Happy weekend, bookworms! Did this week go by exceptionally slowly? Because it feels like it did. But the weekend is here now, so it’s okay. I’m planning to see The Adjustment Bureau tonight with friends. It’s based on a short story by Philip K. Dick. But really, I just want to see Matt Damon. He’s pretty.
- More proof that Maureen Johnson is a super-star. After an unbelievably success Twitter fundraising campaign to help victims of the New Zealand earthquake, she’s now in the middle of another to help victims of Japan’s deadly quake and anyone affected by the resulting tsunami. Donate to Shelterbox, tweet about it and you’ll be entered to win lots of lovely prizes from equally lovely authors. Plus, you’ll be helping people who really need it. Win-win.
- Here is a completely delightful and lovely video (domino books!) in support of Ireland’s Library Week. I’m sure an American library could do the same thing (or maybe already has), but it’s somehow cuter when it’s Ireland. Must be the leprechauns. (Thanks to Smart Bitches, Trashy Books for the head’s up.)
- It’s Jane on the go! Jane Austen fans who use Android phones can download Austen’s novels for free, thanks to the Android app market. There really is nothing better than free, unless it’s Jane Austen for free.
- Put away your brooms and get out your sneakers! Starting next year, Harry Potter obsessed Muggles can go into full-on tourist mode with a walking tour of movie sets in England. The tour will showcase costumes, props and sets from the mega-popular movie (based on the books) series. Included in the tour will be the Great Hall and Dumbledore’s office. Now, if you’ll just excuse me while I go book a flight to London…
- At the risk of getting myself and LND censored, bookshelf porn! No, seriously. There’s a website called Bookshelf Porn and it’s exactly what any self-respecting book-obsessed reader things it is: a blog devoted to salivating pictures of bookshelves.
- Edward Cullen and Elle Woods, gettin’ cozy. A new trailer for the movie adaptation of Water for Elephants hit the Internet recently. The movie stars Twilight phenom Robert Pattinson and Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz. Sara Gruen’s novel has taken a remarkable journey – it originally started as a NaNoWriMo book.
- How long until September again? Yesterday, Stephanie Perkins unveiled the cover and summary for her next, eagerly-awaited novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door. A companion novel to Perkins’ absolutely amazing Anna and the French Kiss, it will be released in the fall. Assuming I get to read it in 2011, I can practically guarantee that Perkins will show up TWICE on my “best of 2011″ list (since I technically read Anna in 2011).
- Yay for demons! Rachel Hawkins’ fantastic second novel, Demonglass has hit #5 on the New York Times best-selling list. It’s an honor well-deserved, as Demonglass is smart, funny and very twisty (I reviewed it earlier this week if you care to know my full thoughts).
- This quote (found via Gail’s tumblr), which is just all sorts of awesome: “Date a girl who reads.”
As always, happy reading.