So, as it turns out, I didn’t read a ton of novels last year. Even more surprising was the fact that I simply didn’t make time for some of my favourite romance authors. But I did read a fair amount, and all of my favourites from 2017 were comics and graphic novels, most especially the recent collected volumes of certain series. So here are some of my favourites from the last year:
- The Wicked + the Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie – consistently excellent writing and art, with a story that constantly surprises me. These guys are among the best in the industry, no question.
- I Hate Fairyland by Skottie Young – it’s not for the faint of heart or those easily offended. But if you’re like me, with a twisted sense of humor, you’ll enjoy the foul-mouthed Gert and her…..”adventures.”
- Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick – a comic series every woman should read. Timely and important, with sharp, biting social commentary and characters of every colour, shape, size, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Poe Dameron by Charles Soule – though it takes place leading up to The Force Awakens (and thus doesn’t contain any information relevant to the latest movie), this comic has done wonders for developing Poe’s character. If you had questions about his decisions in The Last Jedi, then read this series!
- Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson – I’ve loved Kamala Khan from the first issue, but Wilson continues to tie her story to current events in a way that never feels forced or contrived. And as a bonus, Kamala never feels unrealistic as a superhero. She’s still a teenager who makes mistakes.